How to Apply the 80/20 to Achieve Balance in Your Life
Is work taking over your life? Have a hard time staying fit or eating clean? Are you always on a tight schedule? If so, it's time to make some lifestyle changes. Decide what matters to you, whether it's work, health, money, or family life, and then come up with a plan to manage your time more effectively. Apply the 80/20 rule to prioritize things based on importance. Here are some tips to help you out:
What Is the 80/20 Rule?
Also known as the Pareto Principle, the 80/20 rule is one of the most important concepts for life and time management. This theory was promoted by Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto. Today, it is widely used in sales, business, and goal setting. According to this concept, 80 percent of the effects come from 20 percent of the causes. Basically, what you do 20 percent of the time is responsible for 80 percent of your results.
Most people prioritize tasks based on urgency, not importance. Yet, the key to maintaining a healthy work-life balance is to prioritize things based on importance. This helps reduce stress and leads to better results in career, work, and relationships. The Pareto Principle can be applied to almost any situation, including work-related projects, fitness goals, and family life.
The 80/20 Rule in Action
Applying the 80/20 rule in your everyday life will bring you closer to your goals. Whether you want to lose weight, start a new workout plan, or climb the career ladder, you can use the Pareto Principle. Let's say you wish to slim down and clean up your diet. To reach your goal, eat healthy 80 percent of the time and indulge in your favorite treats the remaining 20 percent. This way, you'll have your cake and still lose weight.
The whole idea is to do things right 80 percent of the time and leave 20 percent for flexibility. Let's say you're ready to start a new exercise program. Commit to your workouts most days of the week, and only skip your routine 20 percent of the time. This will allow you to take a day off exercise and go out with your family or focus on your work.
Apply this rule to every aspect of your life. Instead of expecting perfection from yourself, try to do things right 80 percent of the time. Focus on what you value most and let go of the minor stuff. Analyze the thoughts that cross your mind every day. While it would be great to be 100 percent positive, 80 percent is a good start.
Use the Pareto rule to advance in your career and become more productive. Ask yourself: what are the 20 percent activities that generate most of your income? Identify the 20 percent of your clients who bring you 80 percent of sales. Try to find more customers like them so you can grow your business.
The same goes for your personal life. According to the Pareto principle, 20 percent of the time in a relationship gives 80 percent of the memories. Plan your time by setting short and long term goals based on the 80/20 rule. Once you implement this concept, your life will change forever.
Stay tuned over the next few weeks as our site unfolds. I believe that in order to truly keep the blessings we have we must be willing to give them away. My journey to wellness has taken me to many places and has put many people in my life that have blessed and encouraged me along the way. I want to use my story and my journey to encourage those who might find themselves, a friend, or a loved one in the same boat that began my pursuit of wellness.. ~Britt